Monday, July 17, 2023

1,204 days later

On March 11th, 2020, Doug and I shared a treat together at his care home. I don't have a photograph to jog my memory, and have no recollection if we opted for hot chocolate and cookies, or root beer and bag of potato chips. We shared treats all the time. I often ate meals with him. I kissed him on his cheek every time I arrived to visit, every time I left, and many times in-between. 

And then - Covid. 

Wednesday June 28th, 2023 the masks rule for long term care homes was lifted and Doug's home opted to allow staff and visitors to choose to wear, or choose not to wear, the face masks which have been part of our lives for so long. When I arrived and confirmed that I could indeed go without a mask, I didn't hesitate; I tore it off.

It was a wonderful experience to walk through the halls and smile at the staff - and receive full smiles in return. I always smile at the residents, but for the past three years plus they've only been able to detect the smile in my eyes. 

Reaching Doug, I knelt down and kissed his cheek.

After the hurricane I promised myself I would never again take for granted the joy of turning on a tap to fill a glass with drinking water. I am promising myself now that I will never again miss the opportunity to smile at people - loved ones and strangers - or to kiss someone I love. 

2014: our annual 50-miles-in-a-single-day walk
Maybe this was preparation, unbeknownst to me at the time, for the long haul of Covid-within-Dementia








No comments:

Post a Comment